Yarn Along {Four}

I’m so thankful for Ginny‘s Yarn Along.
It is the sole reason I didn’t just quit knitting yesterday afternoon.  I’m making this cardigan for baby Jacob.  Everytime I begin a new section, I’m learning brand new knitting techniques.  For instance, having to put stitches on a holder or scrap yarn.  I couldn’t figure out how to put them onto scrap yarn, I don’t have a holder, and, I wasn’t even sure exactly what the pattern was saying*, but I found a great use for old cloth diaper pins (we use Snappys or leave the prefold loose under the cover).
God’s Love Story is the book Isaiah received for his birthday from grandma and grandpa.  It is the most beautiful and simple summary of our Catholic faith that I have ever read.  I’m going to be reading this to my children frequently, even when they are little babies, because it also reminds me of God’s great love story.
I’m still finishing up Full of Grace: Women and the Abundant Life and browsing through The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth, that my midwife let me borrow.
Now,
For all you knitting experts and those who would like to become very confused, here’s the big *:
The pattern says: “When finished knitting, place the last 5 stitches and the first 5 stitches of each sleeve onto scrap yarn. Place the rest of the stitches onto spare needles, a holder, or a separate piece of scrap yarn.”  I don’t understand what “last 5″ and “first 5″ she is talking about.  The first five stitches of a sleeve would be on the very bottom, at cast on, which makes no sense.
So, on the very last row of the sleeve (the part where the armpit will be), I just put the last 5 stitches of the last row from the last needle, and the first 5 stitches of the last row from the first needle onto one holder (blue safety pin) and put the rest of the stiches on two more pins (yellow).  Yeah.  I’m sure you’re just as confused as I am.  I’m not too worried about it though.  I just have to finish the second sleeve and once that is done, I will figure out what to do next.
That’s how I knit.  One little stitch at a time.
Don’t forget to visit today’s Yarn Along and see what others are reading and knitting.

Comments

1. says

The cardigan is going to be beautiful! You know you’re not the only one that has problems reading knitting patterns. I think it happens to every knitter every so often…

2. says

The sweater I’m knitting has a VERY confusing part coming up that I’m hoping I’m able to figure out, because that how I knit too. One stitch at a time. I loved that!
    Your cardigan really does look like you know exactly what your doing and the baby pin is a perfect stitch holder I think!

3. says

Patterns confuse me silly too :)
    But the cardigan is coming on beautifully. Don’t give up!
    I can’t wait to see it finished.
    The better birth book looks very interesting to me right now halfway through my 6th pregnancy and still not sure I’ve ever had the perfect natural birth experience I would have liked.
    I’ll be looking that one up!

4. says

Love the diaper pin *grin*. I wish I could help you with what that part of your pattern means but I don’t have the faintest idea. Hopefully someone will know!

5. says

Love those stripes. That is one of the wonderful thing about knitting — that sometimes you just have to take it one stitch at a time.

6. says

I knit like that, too–one little bit at a time. I use safety pins all the time for my stitch holders and markers–diaper pins would be even better! Love the colors of yarn you’re using!

7. says

Oh I knit the same way one stitch at a time, and sometimes that’s all I have time for. Your cardigan is going to be beautiful. Love the colors. And I know what you mean about confusing patterns. I am still learning how to read them and refer to the web and my local knitting shop often. Hope you get it figured out.

Blessings, Elizabeth

8. says

you did it right elisa! beautiful progress. i like your updated blog too! how do you make your banner? did you ask someone or do you have a book you can refer me too? i love the look of so many blogs but don’t know how to do it..

9. says

p.s. i know what you mean about family coming to visit… mine comes soon and i just want to make sure that i can maintain my sanity throughout the time they are here. at least they are staying in our hotel and not in our unit. and it’s always “me” too not them…

p.p.s. i was a day late on my yarn along – i’ve been so busy with the start of advent!